Inscriptions - Political background of South Canara
Posted/Pic by: Divya Furtado, Barkur Place: BarkurPosted Date : 16/09/2012
Historical Tulunadu comprised the District of South Kanara (un divided) and parts of North Kanara. The name Tulunadu was in vougue from the early centuries of the Christian era right upto the close of Keladi rule. The most interesting aspect is the fact that the Tulu language is confirmed today only to the region south of the river Kalyanapura upto Kasargodu.
Barakuru, the historic city of Tulunadu for centuries, knows nothing of the Tulu language even though it is just five miles to the north of the river Kalyanapura.
The Alupa dynasty, as revealed through records, starts only from the 7thcentury. In the 8th century they fixed Udayapura (Udyavara) as the center of their political activity, then Barakuru drew their attention and perhaps from the 11th - 12th centuries, Mangalapura became the capital and it continued to occupy that position until the end of their political power. Although the Alupas were subordinate to the overlordship of the Karnataka suzerains, for all political purposes and intents, they were indipendent and there seemed hardly any interference in the administation of the territory until the advent of Vijayanagara rule. Nearly 35 kings ruled in the Alupa dynasty.
During Vijayanagara period 81 Governers ruled Barkur province from 1353 A.D. to 1587 A.D.
During Vijayanagara times, the district of South Kanara seemed to have been permanently associated with the name Tulu-rajya.
There were 10 keris in Barakuru and each keri seemed to have had the habitation of a particular group of people, as the name suggest. An important feature of the towm was the construction of tanks in each keries.